Sunday, October 17, 2010

Firsts

A list of new experiences this week for each of us: L4 attended his first military
concert. We went and saw the Air Force Academy Band on campus for free. It is paired with a recruiting event for the Air Force Academy. They did a tribute to 1940s Big Band music featuring Glenn Miller. The uniforms were even period. My favorite part of the concert is when they play the different military branches songs and see the current military or retired military. The audience was comprised of mostly octogenarians. I overheard one gentleman say that he was 80 and if he could “up” again he would. His career was 21 years and 17 days. Underfoot and K2 would lead the music or bob along with the beat. Underfoot liked the tuba and trumpet. K2 fell sleep 1/2 way through the concert and stayed asleep. We enjoyed our evening together.

Underfoot had a few firsts this week. He played in his first t-ball game. During his turn at the pitcher mound, he took a line drive to the throat. He said it hurt, and he cried a few tears. When he recounts the experience, he makes the sound of a few fake sobs. He is very happy to wear his uniform. Another first was he went to climb on his bicycle and saw a snake wrapped through the sprocket. He came and told me that there was snake. We called the fire department. It was hilarious to watch Underfoot yell at the firemen as they came to the house, “Firemen come and get this snake!!!” The bull snake they took was about 2 feet long. The bull snake has similar coloring to a rattlesnake and will shake its tail to mimic the sound of rattlesnake. We were proud of him for even recognizing that there was a snake on his bike.

K2 has moved to a big boy bed. We took the crib down. He loves to sleep in a bed. The draw back for me is that he can now get out of his bed at night and walk down the hall to our room. He almost always comes to my side of the bed and sleeps right next to me. He also is a very helpful little boy. He will take all the dishes from the table to the sink after a meal. He likes to pour fluids from one container to the next and back again. It makes quite the mess but he finds all sorts of things to pour.

I organized a meet and greet for the Bountiful Baskets site coordinators with Tanya and Sally, the organizers. The boys and I went to the park and enjoyed the afternoon. My first for the week was that I made caramel popcorn with the recipe I got from my Auntie Kathy. The first batch was enjoyed by neighbors after the HOA meeting. The second batch was enjoyed by Bountiful Baskets get-together-people and L4’s coworkers. I dropped it off at L4’s work as a surprise after the Baskets eeting. We ate enough to have our caramel popcorn fix for a little while.

2 comments:

Cyndy said...

Can I just say....You guys live TOO CLOSE TO ME to be having so many snakes!! Bull snakes I can handle...but rattlers can just keep on moving and any bull snake that wants to pretend to be something else like a rattler, well it too can move along or risk beheading! ACK! I'll take bugs, even giant 2 inch ants *wink*wink*

Rachel said...

oh, the snake story gives me the willies. What a good kid. So sorry to hear about the direct hit, I hope tomorrow's game has a better highlight.
And lastly, THANK YOU for bring Bountiful Baskets to us! Really, it has changed the way my family eats for the better. I so appreciate you and all that you do here!!