Sunday, February 17, 2019

Week 7: Surgery

Happy Birthday to me! Yippee!!!
We celebrated with a delicious meal of steak and roasted vegetables. Later that night I made a chocolate cake with ganache and raspberries.
Apparently the cake was yummy as well. I appreciated the phone calls and texts. It was a really lovely day.

We went about our normal activities for the week for the first part at least. Allergy shots, cello lessons, Scouts, Battle of the Books battle, and regular family activities were in our Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday evening I taught the cooking merit badge at our house. 

Hurricane's Battle of the Books team won! Kirk participated in the battle and was so excited. He was also the spokesman and did a really wonderful job. He was so happy but kept a very good face on until he got home. He was over the moon.

Hurricane has been asking for about 2 years to go and speak to the City Council about wanting to have chickens for our yard. During supper Hurricane brought the topic up again. Sweetheart looked up if there was a town meeting that night. There was. We wrote up a quick speech for him to say in front of the council. We arrived just before the meeting began. When it was time for public comment, Hurricane stood. He was too short for the podium and needed to be at the table on the side. He read what he had to say and asked if he could leave. Interestingly earlier in the evening the council had been speaking about chickens and if they should allow them.

​Sweetheart has been avoiding getting sick​ ​​for a while. He has been very stressed out and attempting to not get sick. ​Monday night he turned a corner and got better. It is as if everything is coming together and the stress is going down.

Wednesday morning bright and early Sweetheart and I left for the hospital.
The surgery time had changed from 1 pm to 8 am. We had to be at the hospital at 6 am. A lady from our congregation came to help the boys get up and to school. Sharon D went to the airport and picked up my Mom. I got checked in for an abdominal hysterectomy and repair work, and they did the last minute steps to make sure I was healthy enough to have trauma done to my body. The anesthesiologist was a ray of energy. The poor nurse trying to get the IV port started and missed both times and needed to get another nurse to get the IV port started. 

The surgery went well said the surgeon. Lots of stitches were done.
I learned I don't like the taste of sugar-free jello. 

I'm very grateful my Mom came. She was super supportive. After I left for surgery, Sweetheart took her to breakfast. The anesthesiologist would send Sweetheart texts to tell how the surgery was going. She stayed with me until I woke up. I guess I wake up like a grouchy teenager. That night Sweetheart stayed the night with me in the hospital.

Twice during my stay, they had me walk down the hall.
The first time I only made it to the first exit sign. I would burp and be embarrassed. The CNA helping me said the louder and bigger the burp the better. The second walk I walked to the fourth exit sign. I burped so loud once a nurse came into the hall to congratulate me on how loud the burp was. Those were my real accomplishments that day.

At one point the nurse came in around 4 am, Sweetheart said, "I have no idea how anyone gets better in a hospital." He rolled back over and fell asleep. I was released the next day after having 2 checks by doctors, blood drawn (she had to poke me 2x as well), and emptying my bladder without a catheter. Life got a lot better once the catheter came out. I peed so well I didn't have to have them teach me how to self catheterize. Hallelujah!


Jilli took care of my boys in such a marvelous manner. They were brought home by our carpool. She stepped in like she was the boss. She took Underfoot to Battle of the Books and got the boys home for piano. Underfoot's team won. They called via FaceTime. She helped the boys get ready for school. She and Underfoot got to go to the temple together.
They planted grapevines that we got in October from Pocatello. She left us in a very clean place. The three men took Jilli to the airport on Saturday afternoon. We are grateful for her time and energy.

Be Well.


*****
 Come Follow Me Points

 Underfoot enjoying my birthday supper.


Birthday Cake


 Birthday Cake

No comments: