Sunday, January 1, 2012

January 1

Happy New Year. We celebrated by hosting Mama’s parents for a quick 3 day visit. Among other things, we:

  •   Visited San Xavier Mission
  •   Visited the Mormon Battalion Monument in downtown Tucson
  •   Visited the Franklin Car Museum (Franklin cars were made from 1902-1934. Franklin cars were significantly more expensive than comparable Fords because of the air cooled engines, which were patterned after airplane engines.)
  •   Ate lunch at an exciting local restaurant - Cafe Poca Cosa
  •   Built a bench for Mama’s kitchen (to disguise 9 five gallon plastic food storage buckets)
  •   Installed a new ceiling fan in the kitchen (improved lighting from 60 Watts to 240 Watts. . .we can see our food again!)
  •   Created additional storage space in the kitchen by putting shelving up in an otherwise “dead” part of the kitchen
  •   Beautifying the kitchen by optimizing kitchen tool storage locations (a.k.a. hiding the junk in the newly created cabinet space)
  •   Increased ambient kitchen lighting by changing a blind in the kitchen
  •   all of the above items completed in a mere 72 hours, including a visit to Lowe’s and Harbor Freight Tools
Also:
  •   Mama gave up her sugar fast
  •   Underfoot and Hurricane played with Grandpa K and loved on him lots!
On New Year’s Eve, we celebrated by having supper at a local Greek restaurant. We were able to use a Groupon. We enjoyed fine dining and then visited Target on our way home. We also stopped at the church to set up the room for Mama’s lesson today. We all cried when K and J left at the airport this afternoon. Underfoot cried the most! We are so grateful for K and J's generosity and we will cherish the memories they made with us.

We are excited for the new year. We were able to spend some time today calendaring. Save the date- Friday, November 16th, Pie Party 2012!

Be Well.

4 comments:

Live From Mommyville... said...

I've been thinking about weaning myself off of sugar. How did the sugar fast go? Did you go cold turkey or ease it out of your diet?

Wendy said...

Cold turkey. It is hard the first few days and then I could smell sugar in things. When I would have a taste of sugar in some things I permitted myself to have and it was potent. For me it was something I could control as I adjusted and still am adjusting to my calling. If I can control something, I have power. My weight stayed more consistent and my temper didn't go crazy.

Casey said...

WOW, on the sugar. I gave up my soda/caffeine New Years Day and better eating, less sugar. Hope i can stick with it all year. Lots of projects accomplished I would feel like a new woman. :)

Rachel said...

Sugar Fast? I can't STOP eating it... my mom still thinks its Christmas, everyday she has more cookies in the oven! Good for you.