Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother’s Day! We have learned about the beginnings of Mother’s Day which occurred after the Civil War “to reunite families that had been divided during the Civil War” by Ann Jarvis. There were many attempts by various women to start the day until an 1914 law from the U. S. Congress recognized the day that was endorsed by Woodrow Wilson, who stated in a proclamation “as a day for American citizens to show the flag in honor of those mothers whose sons had died in war.” All the references are from Wikipedia on-line. We hope that you have enjoyed your families and know that you are appreciated and loved for all you do and the influence you give.

L4 and Underfoot went on the annual church father and sons camping trip this weekend. It was determined that K2 was still too little to go with the rest of the men in our home. They car-pooled to and from the campsite. Underfoot had a wonderful time climbing on rocks, being with friends, sleeping outside, and eating cookies for breakfast. I think L4 enjoyed himself except for the lack of sleep. L4 prefers his bed to the ground. Underfoot came into our room this morning and asked if we could go camping again. We said yes. He promptly asked us to get in the car to go camping now. When planning with a 3 year-old, it means right now or not at all.

While the boys went to the campout, K2 and I cleaned up the house and went to a community fair done by the local elementary school PTA. The fair was amazing to see how many different activities there were. We checked in on a neighbor who was running a booth and watched another neighbor do a dance. Underfoot got his first cavity filled on Monday. He was a trooper. His Mom was more nervous than he was. He didn’t know to be nervous. We are very diligent now about his dental hygiene.

K2 is standing up and walking with assistance. We think that any day he will have the confidence to step out on his own. He will stand up and dance to the music we are listening to by bouncing up and down.

When I was a missionary, I didn’t write very detailed letters. My parents knew I was alive by the brief encrypted messages I would sent home like “you never know how grateful you are for your health until you don’t have it. Love, Mama” Instead of writing that I was struggling with my companion who was self-medicating and not following the guidelines given us, stress, and being generally tired. My Mom called and asked what the letter meant from the office staff in the mission. They told her I went to the hospital but had returned to where I was working and was fine. I thought that I was being very clear, but unfortunately, I wasn’t. I still struggle with telling about myself because I don’t believe that people want to know about daily life that surrounds me just more about my boys. I understand that my boys are my life, and that is where it needs to be. I wash clothes, dishes, little boys, floors, again the little boys. I run errands, make meals, talk on the phone to friends and family about their lives. I don’t know that I see that I accomplish much or do much because it feels like it is the same every day without much change. There is still the washing, running, and never getting ahead. L4 makes most of the amazing changes to our yard and handyman projects to the interior of our home. I do accomplish little things but never feel that I have a house as clean as Auntie Ann or organization like Auntie Lyn or a calm presence like Auntie Kathy. I do feel that I try my best each day to be the best Mama I can be.

I am grateful for the Mama that raised my sweet husband. She helped foster the foundation that makes him who he is. She gave him determination and no fear to speak up when he believes something is wrong. L4 has a wondering mind and asks intelligent questions to learn. L4’s Mom is always asking questions to learn to broaden her knowledge.

I watched my Mom be the best Mama she could be even when she was happy or tired. She always supported each one of her children in EVERY activity she could. She taught a love of God, devotion to family through service, and a strong love of the nation that supported her beliefs. She supported and joined in ALL she could for my Dad so he knew that she was behind him 100%, and he likewise supports her in ALL that she chooses to do. I’m grateful for the everyday mundane that my Mom gave and hope she knows how much that mundane is appreciated and feels of the love we have for her. I hope that she knows we love her and appreciate her.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wendy, I would love to know more about who YOU are. You are constantly concerned for others and ask such great and thoughtful questions. You really are a great mom and your boys will grow into fine young men with your guidance. You are making a difference in our neighborhood and ward, I'm so very grateful for all that you do each and every day.