Sunday, April 25, 2010

New Car

This morning K2 stood up all on his own to grab a ball. He is developing more personality each day. Lately he squeezes his lips together and says oooh. We find it adorable. Underfoot likes being a big brother. He especially likes it when K2 sleeps next to him at night. They tag-team laugh. Underfoot then K2 then Underfoot. They love to laugh together. We think Underfoot wants K2 close by because Underfoot says he is afraid of the dark.

The Scout has been christened by a friend the Exxon Valdez. One leak is fixed and another squirts out. When you are working with machinery that is almost 40 years old, leaks are bound to come up. I think this is the same with the human body. The older it gets the more it breaks down or wears out or hurts.

I worked on the Pergola this week. (Surprise - Week 6!) On Monday night I worked on it after Family Home Evening. I didn’t sleep well that night (because the Pergola still wasn’t finished.) I took Tuesday off to work on the Pergola. A retired friend helped me for a few hours during the day. With his help I made a lot of progress and got up all the rafters. I spent more time working on it on Saturday. All the vertical posts are now up, the girders and rafters are up too. All that is left now is to put on the stays and attach the decorative copper. Hopefully I’ll have it all finished next Saturday. Then Mama can do some detail touch up.

This week Mama and I did something we’ve never done before. On Saturday night we took our Honda Civic to a place called CarMax. We were there to look at a Honda Odyssey minivan (and hopefully trade in the Civic to get a new car.) The minivan looked great to me. It had all sorts of neat features and gadgets and only 68k miles. When Mama got in, her eyes began to itch. The previous owners had an animal they transported. We didn’t even take it for a test drive.

By that time the Civic was being appraised, so we decided to “walk” around the parking lot to see what other cars they had on the lot. We found a 2008 Honda Pilot. Mama liked it. We drove it. She liked it more. We took a break to get some supper across the street and to talk about the car away from the sales people. We decided over sandwiches that we would buy the car. They took the green Civic as a trade in. We now own a 2008 Pilot with 26k miles on it. This is a first for Mama and I. We’ve never owned a car with less than 56k miles.

In other news, Tucson experienced an unusual cold snap on Thursday and Friday. Highs were in the 50s and lows were around 40 degrees. The cold weather prevented the boys from having swimming lessons. It gave Mama a chance to catch up on some house keeping items.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

How exciting to get a nice new vehicle! We are going to be getting one this year sometime too and the two options we're considering are actually the Odyssey and the Pilot. I'll have to look at your Pilot next time I see you if that's okay :) Fortunately our Civic is still working for now. Did you have a good experience with CarMax?

Cyndy said...

:) Can't wait to see it! Enjoy it.

The Millers said...

I know this isn't the right post, but I am so impressed with the pics of your boys swimming! Amazing that a baby can be taught to float. Very cool. And I'm glad that nothing serious is happening with your neck/growth.
Later Gator!!