Sunday, August 16, 2009

Project Car

Underfoot, K2, and I are still in Idaho. While we have been in here, we have played with cousins, aunties and uncles, and grandparents. We have spent time working on little projects for Curves and helping my Mom set up Curves Smart.

Underfoot has been spoiled by his aunties and uncles by getting to watch as much of The Incredibles as he wants in their homes. (They haven’t shown him Cars for him to beg to see that.) Auntie J. and Uncle S. even sent home the DVD with him to watch. Underfoot also got a haircut. After his haircut, he got sick and has stayed sick with a fever for the past three days. We hope that he is not like Sampson, and his physical strength is found in his beautiful hair.

Baby K2 is a great baby. He is given high compliments. My cousin’s son was born in July and is 3 weeks old. Their baby is 1 pound lighter than K2 who is 10 weeks old.

Yesterday, my parents took us for a ride to see the cabin and Merridale Park. It was a lot of fun to be with them as they are both very busy people. I learned about my paternal great-grandparents. It was a great treat to be with my parents and talk with them. Grandpa K. has taken us to lunch and spent some evenings with us.

L4 reports:

I have taken time this week to work on odd jobs around the house. I have painted, worked in the garden, weeded, installed wire for grape vines and berries, tided up, and spent some time working on the Scout.

Yesterday I rebuilt the power steering pump on the Scout. In the process, I broke the mounting bracket that holds the pump to the engine. The pump is currently installed but secured by two instead of three bolts. Hopefully my father-in-law will be able to find me a replacement bracket off an old vehicle in one of his salvage yards. The good news is that the rebuilt pump doesn’t make any noise (like it used to) and it doesn’t leak- I think... There is still that possibility, but so far so good.

The Scout is a unique vehicle. It has somewhat of a mystical quality for me. It belonged to my paternal grandfather. He bought it new in 1974. As a child, my brother and I would go camping with my grandparents in the Scout. I have many fond memories playing in the Sierra Nevada mountains with the Scout always present in the background. Mama has identified it as a project car. For me it is something of a family heirloom. I could never sell it.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I thought project cars where something people kept in their garages to tinker with, you guys drive yours around in it, at least when it runs. I'm glad to hear your enjoying the vacation with your family.