Sunday, November 27, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving.
We enjoyed Thanksgiving in Colorado with my childhood friend's family, the Eckert Family.
We considered driving to Utah to spend Thanksgiving with the Locey extended family. It's a good thing we didn't go to Utah. On Wednesday evening the battery on Wendy's car died just a mile from home. I replaced it. On Saturday morning the alternator died. I replaced it. Perhaps the two were related. In any event, I'm grateful that I had the skills to fix both items. I'm also grateful that we didn't have to fix them on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

On Thursday night we got ready to try out the hot tub, only to learn that it is not working. I spent some time on Friday trying to diagnose it but it didn't get very warm. On Friday afternoon I played games with Brandon and friends from work. Wendy ironed table cloths, boys shirts, her shirts, my shirts, and my pants. The boys had a movie marathon and played. We enjoyed having a few days off.
Wendy made a heroic effort to get the back yard tidied up before the arrival of our first snow last week.
She cleaned out 4 flower beds and cleaned out the climbing vine in the corner of the yard. It took her 3 days to get it the way that she wanted.


She broke the fork while digging up the ground.
The garbage man took our normal garbage and 9 extra bags full.
 
The boys were very excited for their first snow in Colorado and got dressed to play.
They made snow men, had a snowball fight, and rolled in the snow.


They were even excited to clean off the driveway.
 
I got caught in the first snow coming back from Colorado Springs. The normal 75 minute drive took over two and a half hours. At one point after being stopped for a few minutes, I found that when I stepped on the gas pedal the wheels spun, but I didn't move. All around me were semi trucks on the side of the road in a similar situation. Fortunately, I was able to slide into the lane next to me, regain traction, and continue on my journey.
Wendy tried acupuncture for the first time. The acupuncturist said her pulse is too low and that she should consume as much coffee, tea, and hot alcohols as possible. She came home with these huge hickeys on her back from what's called cupping. Cupping helps loosen muscles and encourages blood flow. If you watched the Olympics Michael Phelps had some cupping marks on his body.

Last Friday night our friends the Ryans came for a quick visit on their way to Iowa. We enjoyed seeing them. We went to the Rec Center in town and swam. Everyone had a good time. They returned yesterday to their home. Because I was working on the car, Wendy and the boys met them at Union Station.
They ate lunch and had a grand old time seeing each other.
Last Saturday my work hosted an open house. Wendy and the boys were able to see the office where I work and learn a little bit about what I do. It was great. Later that day, Wendy's parents arrived on their way home from Mexico.
(They'd been there for a short trip.) We enjoyed supper with them Saturday evening. They came to church with us on Sunday morning. We took them to the airport after church.

I grew up playing with Mike DeMonbrun from 2nd grade through the end of middle school. His family moved to Colorado before we started high school. Mike now lives about 20 minutes away from us and his parents live about 25 minutes away. On Sunday night we drove to Mike's parent's home to celebrate his father's 70th birthday. We had a great visit. Mike's dad makes delicious prime rib!
Per my suggestion, we set up Christmas on Thursday night.
Wendy was surprised because that isn't generally what I like to do. I am trying to be more jolly in the season. She called me an amazing guy. I'll take it. I'm usually more like the Grinch.
Be Well.
 The boys Lego creation.

No comments: