Sunday, December 6, 2009

Chew it up & spit it out

We are almost already for Christmas. We mailed off packages and just need to wrap a few items at home. I put up our nativities and Christmas tree with Underfoot’s help. The tree is lovely.

K2 is getting up into the crawling stance. He will muscle his way up onto all fours and then rock back and forth eventually falling to the floor. He also can pack away the food. For example, tonight he ate a whole banana, a cup of soup, a 1/2 cup yams, and a 1/2 cup yellow squash. I think he is hoping secretly that one time it will be a ding dong and keeps eating. We have taken to holding his hands down as he eats so that he will not have a total sensory experience by sucking his thumb between each bite.

One day this week, Underfoot and I were doing his scripture study. For scriptures Underfoot get a “scripture” treat to keep his attention and have him participate. (We weened scripture treats a while ago, but they have made a revival.) He “shared” a treat with me, and as I put the treat in my mouth, he says, “Spit it into my mouth.” So I did and he was very happy. He even said thank you.

Underfoot likes to go to the library bookmobile. It’s not because he likes to read so much as he has movies to pick. He chooses very carefully and then attempts to check out about 15 movies. Mr. Wade, the librarian, will hide the movies I don’t want to check out. Mr. Wade and I have a system. He looks at me, and I shake my head for a approval. The bookmobile comes once a month, and Underfoot calls the bookmobile the library bus.

My cousin, Charisse, and her family came this week. It was such a treat for me to have them come. Her children listen to her and will do what she says. It was good to reminisce with her about family events and create new memories. My Auntie Lyn says that if you don’t take a picture it didn’t happen. Well just before they drove off into the wild blue yonder, we took a picture.

For all those in colder climates (L4’s note: just to rub it in), we would like to report that we harvested tomatoes and peppers yesterday and have LOTS of lettuce. I have never grown or eaten turnips but they look beautiful. I read about turnips in “Farmer Boy” by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I hope that product is as good as she made it out to be. Any recipe suggestions would be welcome.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Ha ha ha! I love that when he asked you to spit food into his mouth you actually did it and that he said thank you. What a funny boy :)